December ’23 Newsletter
As 2023 draws to a close, I want to take this opportunity to reflect on the accomplishments of the year and provide you with a synopsis of the various podcasts and newsletter tips that we shared during the year to help you navigate the publishing world. SkillBites completed 7 books for our author clients, with 4 more that will soon be completed. The 7 books included the following:
- Bob Bentz’ updated book, Relevance Raises Response, covering all the major elements for mobile marketing success;
- Gary Brunson’s 3rd book published by SkillBites called How to Claim Your Power, containing a framework for becoming the person you want to be;
- The first book by Clay Olsen called Beyond Weapons – A Guide to Holistic Self-Defense, providing guidance on defending your home and family.
- Dory Herman Sample’s 2nd book published by SkillBites, a fantasy novel called The Price of Magic.
- The 7th book by Steve Feld called How To Start a Successful Lead/Referral/Social Networking Group So You Can Build a Fan Base. This book provides step-by-step guidance on building a successful networking group that will bring you hot leads for your business
- Julie Donley’s second SkillBites published book, Does Change have to be so H.A.R.D.? Eight Strategies for Making Change Easier. The book provides 8 strategies for making the changes you desire.
- A 20th anniversary commemorative book for the non-profit organization, The Society for Integrative Oncology, or SIO. This organization is the premier multidisciplinary international organization in the field of integrative oncology.
We also recorded 9 podcasts (plus the December podcast, described below), all of which are available on the SkillBites website:
- Book Design, with Rachel Valliere
- Developing a customer-focused purpose statement, with Mitchell Levy
- How to crowdfund your book, with Victoria Bennett and Charmaine Hammond
- How to get corporate sponsorships, with Charmaine Hammond
- How to get guest appearances on podcasts, with Tony Guarnaccia
- Strategies for keeping up with and adapting to the latest technological advancements, with Tyrone Robinson
- Demo of QuickWrite, a powerful AI tool for book writing
- Demo of Mockup Shots, an amazing tool for creating 3D book covers, book promo videos, testimonial graphics and much more
- Optimizing your book on Amazon
- Creating a quality pitch for presenting yourself, with Mimi Donaldson
In the newsletters, which are all available on the SkillBites website, we provided tips on the following subjects:
- A brief primer on copyright law
- Guidelines on book reviews
- How to create an Amazon author page
- FAQs on ISBNs and Library of Congress Control Numbers
- Working with AI for book writing
- Building a reader community
- Update on Amazon changes
- Publishing on IngramSpark
- Running an Amazon ad campaign
- Creating hooks in books
If there are any topics you would like us to cover in our podcasts or newsletter tips, let us know.
Thank you for being a part of our author community. As a token of our appreciation, we’ve got a gift for you, as provided below. We wish you a joyous holiday season filled with love, creativity, and inspiration.
1. New Book
SkillBites will soon be completing the first book by John Randolph, called The Golden Age of Fly Fishing in America. John was the editor for many years of a fly fishing magazine called Fly Fisherman, and knew all of the great fly fishermen in the country. SkillBites has provided cover design, proofreading, layout design and eBook formatting. In this book, John covers how, who, when, where, and why this golden age emerged and grew into the modern sport enjoyed today, on both fresh and salt waters. The book contains numerous images, and is being made into an eBook. At John’s request, the book is not being published. For more information and an interest in purchasing the book, email me at email@example.com.
2. SkillBites’ Podcast
Each month, we bring you an expert to help you get your book done, leverage your book, grow your business or improve your life. The shows are recorded, and you can listen to the recording by clicking here.
This month, my guest is Lisa Snyder, the founder of Silver Hoop Edge. Lisa’s expertise is in assisting professionals in starting, enhancing, and managing their web presence. In this episode, Lisa unravels essential elements that can help kickstart an author’s journey in crafting a website, a powerful tool to amplify their book’s visibility. Lisa shares insights into commonly overlooked website areas. Listen to this episode to access Lisa’s gift.
Last month, my guest was Mimi Donaldson, an internationally acclaimed speaker and speaker coach. Mimi covered how to create a quality pitch for presenting ourselves that is relevant, timely and effective. Mimi also addressed such issues as how to overcome your fear of public speaking and how to be humorous even when you aren’t naturally a funny person. Be sure to listen to this episode to take advantage of Mimi’s gifts: a free 30-minute conversation with her to help you create your pitch, and free access to her powerful 7-step formula for crafting an effective presentation.
You can listen to prior episodes by clicking here.
Do you have expertise that you believe would benefit the SkillBites community of entrepreneurs and authors? If you would like to be the guest on the monthly SkillBites Show, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-783-4519. If there is a topic you would like to hear on the podcast, let me know and I’ll look for an expert to cover that.
3. Holiday Special
In the spirit of the holiday season, SkillBites has a special offer for you. We have bundled 5 of our helpful eBooks for writing, publishing and marketing a book into The Definitive Author’s Toolkit:
- SkillBites’ Strategic Book Plan Workbook – Don’t waste your time and money on a book that won’t get you the results you desire. SkillBites’ Strategic Book Plan Workbook offers a step-by-step guide to help you develop a solid plan before you start writing. By choosing the right topic and creating an action plan to achieve your objectives, you can ensure that your efforts in writing a book will lead to the desired outcomes. Avoid disappointment and maximize your success by following the proven steps outlined in this workbook. It’s time to write the RIGHT book that will truly make an impact.
- It’s Time to Write Your Book – Crafting a book is a laborious undertaking, and finding the time to do so can be challenging, especially when our lives are consumed by other commitments. However, fret not, for this exceptional workbook holds the key to unlocking various strategies that enable you to expedite the process of writing your book. Moreover, within these pages lies a comprehensive 5-step methodology, designed to aid you in identifying and effectively utilizing the precious moments necessary for penning your literary masterpiece.
- Overcoming Doubts and Fears – Discover the ultimate guide for authors facing common apprehensions and uncertainties that hinder their creative potential. Delve into this captivating eBook, where you will unravel the transformative power of five proven strategies that have propelled countless individuals beyond their fears of rejection and self-doubt.
- Writing Made Easy – Writing a book can be an intimidating task without a clear guide. Enter this eBook, offering a foolproof, step-by-step process to craft your masterpiece in a mere 15 minutes daily. Discover invaluable lessons, such as determining an effective budget for publishing, selecting the perfect topic, constructing a well-structured outline, and uncovering insider tips for smoother writing. Additionally, gain an indispensable understanding of the essential elements required to transform your manuscript into a polished, published work.
- Book Magic – Discover the essential components to ensure your book propels you towards your desired outcomes in this captivating eBook. Uncover powerful strategies to harness the full potential of your book, transforming it into a powerful tool that not only attracts lucrative leads but also opens doors to highly paid speaking opportunities. With these insights, you’ll unlock a realm of possibilities, boosting your revenue far beyond the confines of mere book sales.
Through the end of December, you can download this full bundle for just $5! Click here to purchase this bundle before this deal goes away.
4. New Business Reporting Requirements
As reported last month, there are two new business reporting requirements. The first one applies to most businesses registered anywhere in the US, including foreign businesses registered to do business in the US. The new law is called the Corporate Transparency Act, promulgated by the federal government to create a database aimed at stemming the tide of money laundering. If you or your employer own a business that is registered with a state as a corporation, LLC or other structure, the company will be required to file this report starting January 1, 2024, unless it qualifies for one of the exemptions. The exemptions apply mostly to businesses in already heavily regulated industries, such as securities and commodities. Failure to comply with this requirement can result in penalties of $500/day or more until the report is filed, against the business and the person responsible for filing the report.
The second business reporting requirement applies only to businesses registered in Pennsylvania. The state previously required a report to be filed every 10 years, and as of January 1, 2025, is requiring all businesses to file a report annually. The penalty for not filing the report includes dissolution or termination of your business and potentially loss of your business name.
I have developed an overview of these two laws. If you would like a copy of the overview, email me at email@example.com and I’ll send it to you.
5. Tip of the Month: Strategies for marketing and promoting your book
Writing a book is no small feat, but marketing and promoting it can be an even bigger challenge. Whether you’re a first-time author or have a few books under your belt, it’s important to have a strong marketing and promotion strategy in place to get your book into the hands of your target audience.
Below is a list of some effective strategies for marketing and promoting your business book. These strategies will help you increase the visibility of your book, reach a wider audience, and ultimately drive sales and engagement.
- Define your target audience: Before you start marketing your book, and even before you start writing your book, it’s crucial to define your target audience. Who are they? What are their interests? Understanding your audience will help you tailor your book’s message and your marketing efforts to reach the right people. Consider who would benefit from reading your book and focus your marketing efforts on them.
- Develop a strong online presence: In today’s digital age, having a strong online presence is key. Create an author website or a dedicated landing page for your book where you can share information about the book, as well as yourself and your contact info. Optimize your website for search engines to increase visibility. Additionally, leverage social media platforms relevant to your audience, such as LinkedIn, Facebook or Instagram, to engage with potential readers and share updates about your book.
- Build a mailing list: A mailing list is a powerful tool for reaching your target audience directly. Offer a free preview or bonus content related to your book in exchange for visitors signing up on your mailing list. Use this list to share updates about your book, upcoming events, or exclusive offers. Regularly engage with your subscribers by providing them with valuable content related to your book’s subject matter.
- Leverage influencer marketing: Partnering with influencers can significantly increase your book’s reach and credibility. Identify influencers in your industry or niche who have a strong following and influence over your target audience. Offer them a complimentary copy of your book and ask for a review or endorsement. Their recommendations can go a long way in attracting new readers and generating buzz around your book.
- Utilize content marketing: Content marketing can be an effective way to create awareness and engage with potential readers. Write articles, blog posts, and guest posts on industry-related newsletters or influential blogs that your target audience follows. Seek guest appearances on podcasts that your target audience listens to. Focus on providing valuable insights and include a mention or link to your book. This can drive traffic to your website, increase visibility, and position yourself as an industry expert.
- Leverage book promotion sites and platforms: There are numerous book promotion sites and platforms that can help you reach a wider audience. Sites like Goodreads, BookBub, or Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing offer promotional tools and opportunities to increase your book’s visibility. Utilize these platforms to run promotions, offer discounts, or participate in book giveaway contests. These tactics can help attract new readers and generate positive reviews.
- Consider traditional marketing methods: While online marketing is crucial, don’t overlook traditional marketing methods. Attend trade shows, conferences, or networking events relevant to your book’s subject matter. Bring copies of your book to distribute or offer to speak at industry events or conferences likely to be attended by your target audience. Consider approaching local bookstores or libraries for potential book signings or speaking engagements.
Remember that marketing and promoting a book is an ongoing effort. Continuously evaluate and refine your strategies based on the results and feedback you receive. By consistently putting in the effort to market and promote your business book, you increase the chances of reaching your target audience, generating sales, and establishing yourself as a credible author in your field. Marketing is time-consuming. If you don’t want to do this work yourself, we can help you get it done.
Look for more in-depth information on these strategies in future newsletters.
Do you have a favorite marketing strategy? What has worked well (or not worked well) for you? Please email your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to share your input with the SkillBites community.
Thanks for supporting SkillBites. If there is anything you think we ought to be doing better or anything we should be doing that we’re not, please let us know. We value your input.